Workplace by Facebook and Skyhigh (McAfee MVISION Cloud) announced a partnership that will enable enterprises using Workplace to enforce security and compliance controls while allowing employees to improve efficiency, agility, and collaboration. Skyhigh’s CASB integration with Workplace will allow IT and security teams to enforce compliance policies, monitor activity, and protect against threats associated with insiders and privileged users.
Workplace by Facebook, since its launch in 2016, has transformed the way organizations and teams work. Used by over 14,000 organizations already, Workplace has become an integral part of people’s workflows and helps them get more done by making work simpler and more efficient.
According to the most recent Cloud Adoption and Risk Report, the average company uses 210 collaboration services. As companies across the globe adopt collaboration solutions (Workplace is being used in 77 languages by organizations on every single continent, including Antarctica!), enterprises are looking to ensure the security of their corporate data on third-party systems. Security is a shared responsibility in which customers are accountable for their users, data, and apps. In fact, Gartner predicts that, through 2020, 95% of cloud security failures will be the customer’s fault. This has caused enterprises to look for ways to enforce additional security controls on their cloud solutions to ensure compliance and governance.
Skyhigh for Workplace acts as an added layer of security for Workplace to enforce security, compliance, and governance controls. Skyhigh is being used by multiple large enterprises to address key enterprise security use cases:
1) Policy enforcement: Using Skyhigh, enterprises can make sure that sensitive content such as personally-identifiable information (PII), personal health information (PHI), intellectual property, and financial records aren’t shared. Skyhigh provides out-of-the-box templates for companies to enforce policies related to regulations such as HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley, and PCI, or companies can create robust customized policies.
2) Activity monitoring: Skyhigh uses Workplace APIs to log user activity and enriches this information by mapping to categories. IT teams can consume this information by filtering by parameters such as category, date, and department to easily retrieve information required for audits and forensics.
3) Threat protection: By analyzing activity logs on Workplace, Skyhigh can detect threats associated with insiders and privileged users. These threats occur mostly with sanctioned services, which have strong security controls, but employees misuse their features either unknowingly or maliciously and end up putting data at risk. An average organization faces 23.2 cloud-related such threat incidents each month, and by analyzing employee activity across all SaaS services using multiple threshold-based and algorithmic methods, Skyhigh helps detect these threats early so companies can limit their impact.
4) Integration with existing infrastructure: Skyhigh provides out-of-the-box integration with security infrastructure components such as on-premises Data Loss Prevention (DLP) systems, SIEMs, and firewalls, allowing companies to seamlessly extend their controls to Workplace usage. Many enterprises have made significant investments in protecting their on-premises data assets and can leverage Skyhigh’s integration to extend existing controls to the cloud.
5) Employee adoption of corporate standard: By providing visibility into all cloud services in use by the company, Skyhigh enables the company to increase adoption of Workplace. By using Skyhigh’s comprehensive cloud registry with information on cloud services and risk, IT teams can enforce governance policies that help employees adopt secure services. Furthermore, real-time popup messages help improve collaboration by consolidating employees onto a single collaboration platform.
In today’s world of geographically disparate teams and ‘road-warrior’ employees, Workplace addresses an important organizational requirement – collaboration anywhere, anytime. The impact that timely exchange of information and ideas can have on innovation and productivity of a company was well captured by former HP CEO Lew Platt when he said, “If HP knew what HP knows, we would be three times more productive.” The partnership between Skyhigh and Workplace by Facebook enables companies to overcome security obstacles and unleash their collaboration potential while ensuring the security of their corporate assets.
CASB Magic Quadrant 2020 is here – McAfee a leader for the fourth consecutive year
CASB Magic Quadrant 2019 is here – McAfee a Leader for third consecutive year
CASB RFP Template: 200+ Common Questions Enterprises Are Asking
9 Cloud Computing Security Risks Every Company Faces
Office 365 Security Concerns: Download Definitive Guide to Office 365 eBook
51 AWS Security Best Practices